7 Beautifying Benefits of Nourishing Hemp Seed Oil
For countless generations, people have depended on the humble hemp plant to manufacture strong rope, sturdy fabrics, and even paper. But hemp’s full and varied potential is only just beginning to come to light. Hemp seeds (a superfood in their own right) produce a lovely, silky oil that turns out to be one of the nicest, most luxurious holistic beauty treatments around.
What Exactly Is Hemp Seed Oil?
A lot of folks are unclear about the nature of hemp seed oil—they either confuse it with marijuana, or with cannabidiol (CBD) oil. To clear things up:
• Hemp seed oil isn’t marijuana. Hemp plants are cousins of the cannabis plants that produce marijuana, but hemp only contains trace amounts of THC—and the seeds typically don’t contain any THC at all. Enhancing your complexion with hemp seed oil simply can’t produce any psychoactive effect.
• Hemp seed oil isn’t CBD. Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is extracted from hemp flowers and leaves, which have a CBD-rich nutrient profile that differs from that of the seeds. Hemp seed oil isn’t a significant source of CBD, although it may contain trace amounts.
Hemp seed oil is crafted from only the seeds of hemp plants, which makes it naturally rich in essential fatty acids, amino acids, and powerful antioxidants that work in harmony to reveal a gorgeous, healthy glow in all types of skin, hair, and nails.1 The subtle green hue and warm, nutty fragrance make adding this oil to any natural skincare routine even more enjoyable.
Hooray for Hemp!
Don’t be surprised if hemp seed oil quickly becomes your favorite beauty botanical—this luscious oil can help you look naturally stunning from head to toe.
1. Deep hydration without shine. Hemp seed oil contains the perfect 3:1 ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids to hydrate and lock in skin’s precious moisture.2 And because it has a comedogenic rating of zero, it won’t clog pores and is a great choice for all skin types—even oily or sensitive complexions. Smooth it over face and body after bathing and before bed; it can be used alone or under your favorite natural sunscreen. Since it’s a “dry oil,” it will be quickly absorbed, leaving your well-nourished face looking dewy with no oily shine.
2. Less noticeable pores. Hemp seed oil has a mild astringent quality that helps skin look tightened and toned while minimizing the appearance of pores.
3. Ageless appeal. With its powerful moisturizing properties; optimal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids; and rich cocktail of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals; hemp seed oil is especially well suited to mature skin.3 It penetrates deeply to moisturize between cells and help your skin look fresh and radiant at any age.
4. Gentle cleansing. Hemp seed oil deep cleans your face, lifting away dirt, grime, makeup, and excess sebum—without stripping away the skin’s natural protective oils. Simply massage a few drops into your face and then run a washcloth under hot water. Wring out the washcloth, leaving it moist, and place it over your face. After a relaxing minute or so, remove and use a second warm, moist washcloth to wipe away dirt, makeup, and any remaining oil.
5. A great carrier oil. Add a few drops of an essential oil like lavender, tea tree, or frankincense to create your own fragrant custom beauty elixirs.
6. Strong, pretty nails. There’s no need to purchase a special nail oil—hemp seed oil moisturizes nails and cuticles for healthy, beautiful hands and feet.
7. Head turning hair. Hemp seed oil treats your hair to a full range of amino acids along with gamma-linoleic acid to condition, moisturize, and strengthen tired tresses. Mix a drop or two into your regular shampoo or conditioner—or for a deep conditioning treatment, massage a teaspoon directly into hair and scalp, leave on for about 30 minutes, and then shampoo out.
Bonus Tips From Our Team
Whether you enjoy it for moisturizing, cleansing, or mature skin support, nourishing your face regularly with hemp seed oil brightens and balances skin for a fresh, vibrant complexion everyone will notice. And just a few simple tips will transform your next hemp seed oil treatment into an even more delicious, spa-like experience:
• Warm the hemp seed oil in your hands before massaging it into face, neck, and body.
• When working the oil into your skin, take the opportunity to breathe deeply and express gratitude for everything that each part of your body does for you
• Massage the oil into your skin with long, loving strokes that glide in the direction of your heart.
• To keep your oil fresh and fragrant, close the bottle tightly after each use and store in a cool, dry place.
First and foremost though, to reap hemp seed oil’s full benefits, be sure you’ve chosen an authentic, high quality, single-ingredient, organic oil like Valentia, that’s ethically sourced, cruelty-free, and doesn’t contain any synthetic additives or preservatives. And when your hemp seed oil comes bottled in dark amber glass, all that silky green goodness can stay fresh for up to three years. That’s a good thing, because a little bit of hemp seed oil goes a long way. But realistically, once you’ve experienced it for yourself you’ll be so in love that you’ll use it up long before the three-year mark!
1. Galasso, I., Russo, R., Mapelli, S., Ponzoni, E., Brambilla, I. M., Battelli, G., & Reggiani, R. (2016). Variability in Seed Traits in a Collection of Cannabis sativa L. Genotypes. Frontiers in Plant Science, 7. doi:10.3389/fpls.2016.00688
2. Siano, F., Moccia, S., Picariello, G., Russo, G., Sorrentino, G., Di Stasio, M., … Volpe, M. (2018). Comparative Study of Chemical, Biochemical Characteristic and ATR-FTIR Analysis of Seeds, Oil and Flour of the Edible Fedora Cultivar Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.). Molecules, 24(1), 83. doi:10.3390/molecules24010083
3. Sapino, S., Carlotti, M. E., Peira, E., & Gallarate, M. (2005). Hemp-seed and olive oils: Their stability against oxidation and use in O/W emulsions. International Journal of Cosmetic Science, 27(6), 355-355. doi:10.1111/j.1467-2494.2005.00290_2.x